Installing an ICC Color Profile is super easy, and I'll step you through everything you need to do here.
Download or Create your Profile
An ICC Color Profile is a standardized set of data that characterizes a color output of different devices, either display or print. What does that mean for you? Basically, the ICC Color Profile tells either your display or printer to show colors in certain ways.
Finding the right ICC Color Profile for your purposes is dependent on what you need from your color profile. If you are adjusting the color gamut of your computer monitor or TV, I'd recommend checking with the manufacturer for specific color profiles for their devices. Note that this guide mainly applies for Installing & Using your ICC Color Profile in Print. You can read about how to install your ICC Profile for displays here!
If you are working with sublimation, you can click here to explore the ICC Color Profiles we have for download. We've collected color profiles from the major Sublimation Ink suppliers, so hopefully your profile is listed. If not, let us know and we can try and grab that profile for you!
Note that a manufacturer provided color profile will never be perfect! Colors can be very complicated, and if exact colors are needed, it is recommended to build a custom color profile for your ink, substrate, and printer!
Install your Profile
- Download ICC Color Profile
- Right-Click and select Install Profile
- Open your printing preferences by selecting the Start key and going to Settings
- Select Devices
- Select Printers & Scanners and choose your preferred printer and click Manage
- Select Printing Preferences
- In your Printing Preferences, go to More Options > Color Correction and select Custom
- Under Color Correction, select Advanced and select No Color Management
- Save your Settings
Now you are all setup to begin using your new Color Profile! Printers come with their own color management, so we have to make sure we override those settings and use our own instead.
Use your Profile
Now that we have our color profile installed and setup, it's time to put it to use! Note that every program is different, I'll be showing how to enable your color profile using Photoshop CC. Click here to buy and install Photoshop.
- Open Photoshop CC
- Select your file and go to File > Print or hit Ctrl + P to open your print settings
- Under Color Management, select Photoshop Manages Color from the Color Handling dropdown
- Under Color Management, select the Color Profile you want to use from the Printer Profile dropdown
- You can go ahead and leave Black Point Compensation left enabled. We'll go over this in another post in the future
- Go ahead and print! You're all ready to use your new profile
ICC Color Profiles are very important, and can drastically effect your print! You can read more about ICC Color profiles here! Color profiles are a rather complicated subject, but we break down all the basics about Color Profiles. We release new How-To's and guides all the time, so check back with us for more information on ICC Color Profiles and Sublimation!